Is It Still Art?
Artificial Intelligence - The Big Bad Wolf of the Art World
Lately, AI (Artificial Intelligence) has been on every creative's mind, including myself. So far, everyone has embraced the idea, or absolutely hates it and wants nothing to do with it (think of Will Smith's character in I, Robot). For everyone who dabbles in art as a hobby or has continued to hone their craft and excel in making their art on a more professional level, every artist has asked this question:
"If it wasn't created by a human artist, is it still art?"
In The Harvard Gazette, Liz Mineo explored that very question and interviewed multiple artists, who specialized in varying mediums. She interviewed a novelist, a musician, an animator, a mixed-media artist, and an architect. You can read the full article in the link above, but some have embraced it (one mentioned "If we ask the right question, AI is going to give us significant answers.") and others have mentioned that even if they don't like the idea of AI making its own art, it's a subject that needs to be discussed.
I reside in the camp, where I see AI as another tool humans can utilize to further themselves, not necessarily take over humanity. As mentioned in the article, I can see myself utilizing AI as more of an "assistant" per se. Especially over line-work! It would save me time and energy, if AI can re-trace my sketch into lines and I can move on to filling in with color, shade work, etc. But that would be as far as I would take it. Other artists have fully embraced the idea of AI, and have had it re-create scenes from books, including certain passages from the Bible! For full disclosure, to each their own. If that artist wants AI to do all the work and they just come up with the idea, that's their prerogative. But that, again, comes back to the same question, would that be considered art?
I wanted to pose the question to y'all, the readers, and get your thoughts. Is AI art still considered art? Or is art, as it has been and always will be, created by humans, from conception to the final product?


I think AI art is still art, because it is based on the same process as human art. We humans constantly absorb information and data from our surroundings, and use them to form our world view, our perspective on reality. When we draw a picture, we express our world view through our artistic choices and styles. I think AI art does the same thing. AI uses the information and data it has collected over time to create its own world view, its own interpretation of reality. When AI generates an image, it shows its world view through its algorithmic choices and patterns. But hey... that's just my thoughts...
ReplyDelete