You're Never Alone - Tips To Maintaining Mental Health During the Holidays

TW: Mental Illness, Self-harm, Suicide, COVID-19 Pandemic, Abuse, Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence

Disclaimer: In this post, I will be reflecting on how challenging the holidays can be for some people, including myself. I will be providing resources from the National Alliance on Mental Illness, and the American Psychological Association, which delves into specific tips and practices on how to navigate the holiday season. Remember, you are never truly alone. A suicide prevention hotline will be provided, along with other phone numbers that focus on various aspects of the mental health spectrum.

It’s that time of year again when the sun sets earlier, the days get colder, and we start thinking about plans for the holidays. I wanted to take a step back from focusing on art-related topics and instead concentrate on mental health and how deeply it can be affected around the holidays. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, “In 2014, NAMI found that 64% of people with mental illness say the holidays make their conditions worse. A 2021 survey showed that 3 in 5 Americans feel their mental health is negatively impacted by the holidays.”

Thanksgiving and Christmas, for me, have been rather tough lately. Honestly, since the COVID-19 pandemic, my life has drastically changed—some parts good and others bad. As I continue in my mental health journey, I am constantly trying to improve myself, to get better. I’m thankful I have chosen the people I surround myself with, who love me and help aid me in my mental health journey. I’m aware not everyone can say that this year. Below, I have provided some tips that help me cope and maintain my mental health. I hope you have a lovely holiday and remind yourself,

you are never alone.

 

1.     Accept Your Feelings

                    Any holiday can bring up, or “trigger”, a wide range of emotions. Sometimes you can experience seemingly contradictory emotions, all at once! Try your best to acknowledge and accept those emotions, rather than placing judgment on them and, especially, on yourself. It’s completely normal to feel what you feel because that’s what makes you, YOU. Give yourself grace and compassion and allow yourself to sit with that feeling. Once you’ve processed that feeling, take some mental notes. I like to think my brain has a massive filing cabinet of all my previous experiences and my feelings attached to them. Once I’ve processed my emotions, I stick it in a folder, put it away in the filing cabinet, and move on to whatever Life continues to bring you.

2.     Maintain Your Healthy Habits

For many people, the holidays bring the potential to massive disruption to your everyday routine. By maintaining your healthy habits and bringing in some of your daily rituals, (i.e. meditation, practicing self-care by showering or taking a bath, getting enough sleep, continuing to go to your therapy/counseling sessions, or exercising to name a few,) this will help you and your mental health to stay on track.

3.     Set Boundaries

                   People like to be generous during the holidays, but despite that person’s intentions, it can come across as rude and overstepping one of your boundaries. If you’re hosting an event or buying an expensive gift is too stressful, it’s absolutely OK to say ‘No.’ It’s also OK to limit the time spent with families or family members who you may have a complicated dynamic with. But, one of the most crucial elements I had to learn is to effectively communicate with that person two things:

1.       They crossed a healthy boundary you and/or your counselor/therapist has set

2.       The willingness you have to move forward and continue healthy maintenance with that relationship with the person

If those have been effectively communicated, how that person responds is not your responsibility. The only responsibility you have is how you act and communicate.

4.     Make the Time

                Connection and having meaningful relationships are absolutely critical to our mental health. It makes sense since human beings are naturally social creatures. Make it a priority to make time for your important relationships and connect with yourself through self-care. You can even connect with loved ones who are no longer with you through a family tradition or a personal remembrance ritual. It can be done through a  particular song, watching a nostalgic movie, making/eating a certain food, etc. Whatever it is you're doing, make sure to take a minute and spend some quiet time remembering that person and remember to be thankful for the good times spent with that person.

5.     Utilize Resources

                There are so many resources out there that can help you maintain you Mental Health Journey. So many resources it can be overwhelming to someone who never knew these resources existed! I’ve compiled a small list of apps that help me:

Headspace (offered through the Apple App Store and Google Play):

      This app has the largest variety of meditations, with guided sessions for beginners and less-structured programming for more advanced practitioners. Its rich library of meditations is well-organized and easy to navigate.

Calm (offered through the Apple App Store and Google Play):

      This app offers guided and unguided meditations that focus on relaxing in general and keeping steady in tough times. It’s easy to personalize your experience.

Healthy Minds Program (offered FREE through the Apple App Store and Google Play):

      Unburdened by bells and whistles, this free app offers a clear sequence of well-structured courses. It’s a great option for anyone who wants to see if meditation is right for them.

Smiling Mind (offered FREE through the Apple App Store and Google Play):

              This free option packages well-structured beginner courses in a lighthearted, simple app. It’s an excellent choice for kids and young adults.

Here are some of the hotlines provided by the American Psychological Association:

CDC National HIV and AIDS Hotline: (800) 232-4636

Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline: (800) 422-4453

Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741

Nacional de Prevencion del Suicidio: (888) 628-9454

National Domestic Violence Hotline: (800) 799-7233

National Grad Crisis Hotline: (877) 472-3457

National Sexual Assault Hotline: (800) 656-4673

National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline: Call 988 or can also chat online

National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline (options for deaf or hard of hearing): For TTY Users: Use your preferred relay service or dial 711 then 988

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration National Helpline: (800) 662-4357

Veterans Crisis Line: 988, then PRESS 1 OR Text 838255 OR chat online

Alcoholics Anonymous

Gamblers Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

This holiday season, whether it's the most wonderful or difficult time of the year, I hope you'll join me in taking care of your mental health. Accept whatever emotions may or may not come up, maintain the healthy habits you worked so hard to instill this year, set boundaries with others and other stressors, and make time for yourself and other meaningful connections.

From my heart to yours, I wish you a wonderful holiday and a Happy New Year!



Comments

Popular Posts